What is ketosis and what are ketones?
We are going to try to explain what exactly ketones and ketosis are, and how they directly influence a ketogenic diet or keto diet.
Like any component that moves through our body, it has a chemical explanation or definition that usually seems complicated to understand, although it never hurts to know it and try to understand it.
We will also explain it in a simpler way and compare the process of ketosis and fat burning with that of a campfire.
What are ketones?
- The term "ketones" refers to the breakdown products of fat metabolism. If the body's cells don't get enough glucose over a long period of time, or if there isn't enough insulin in type 1 diabetes, the body burns fat instead of glucose.
- The resulting ketones can be used by cells to meet their energy needs.
- This process is not problematic in itself. A very high concentration of ketones can lead to an acidification of the blood called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
- This occurs mainly in people with type 1 diabetes. Type 1 patients who also receive SGLT-2 inhibitors in addition to insulin are particularly at risk.
- To avoid this metabolic disorder, ketones should always be measured at high glucose values (greater than 250 mg/dl or 13.9 mmol/l).
- This can be done by measuring ketones in the blood or urine. While normal blood ketone levels are below 0.6 mmol/l, this value can rise as high as 3.0 mmol/l on a ketogenic or low-carb diet.
- Suspicion of diabetic ketoacidosis in people with type 1 diabetes is close to ketone values above 3.0 mmol/l.
What is ketosis?
- We are going to try to explain what ketosis is in a simple and easy way.
- Have you ever made a bonfire? Surely yes…
- When you make a bonfire, there are three types of fuels to use: straw, wood, and charcoal.
- Using a straw makes fire easy to light. But it burns very quickly and if you're not careful, it will burn before the wood catches fire.
- Wood takes longer to light, but if you could burn it properly, it will be enough to ignite the charcoal and have a long, warm temperature.
- As if it were a bonfire, our body also uses three types of fuel to function: Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, and each one works in a different way inside you.
- First of all, carbohydrates or straw act. We love these and want them, so we feel the urgent need to ingest them.
- As soon as we do it, we feel a rapid increase in energy.
- Unfortunately for us, this energy does not last long and soon we will run out of it, causing the desire to go for more.
- It is to call it in some way, a vicious circle. IT'S LIKE A DRUG!
- Secondly, there are proteins, or wood, which are the building blocks of our muscles, but they can also be a barrier that keeps us from losing fat, which means that we use protein for energy, although to a lesser extent than carbohydrates and fats.
- And lastly, there is fat, which, like coal, if we manage to light it, can be the best and most durable source of energy.
- But for most people, it is very difficult to get to that state whereby by burning fat, we get energy. This state is known as the state of ketosis.
Why is it so difficult to get into ketosis?
It all starts with the straw or, the carbs. We eat a little, but it burns off quickly, causing a drop in our energy and causing the need to eat more.
But when you get your body into ketosis, you can burn fat for energy.
It is obvious that burning fat produces a fat loss, and therefore will cause weight loss.
Did you know that many expert athletes recommend doing cardio right after weight training for fat loss?
This is because when we lift weights, our body obtains energy from glycogen and burns it.
Later, when performing cardio work, we will be "pulling" directly from the fat reserve and that is when we are truly burning it. Of course, we can't be running all day long to constantly burn fat.
When we get to that state, where we burn pure fat, the body begins to release ketones.
They give you energy, and focus and make you feel amazing. And of course, they cause the fat to melt in your body, because it is ultimately being burned since it is not being protected by carbohydrates and protein.
So, if this is so important, why aren't we doing it every day, to get our best source of fuel and burn fat by releasing ketones?
Because to do so, you need to change your lifestyle and switch to a ketogenic diet. And in many cases, help yourself with food supplements.
How can we get to ketosis faster?
The formula is “Hack the body”. Scientists have found a new formula that actually makes it possible. Through a ketogenic diet (Limit carbohydrate and sugar intake) our body will gradually adapt to burning fat and obtaining energy from it.
There are products that will help us achieve this goal, such as exogenous ketones and perfect keto, with which your body, almost instantly, will enter a state of ketosis.
The ketogenic diet (low in carbohydrates and high in fat) and controlled sports are basic and necessary to achieve the final goal. BURN FAT GRADUALLY AND GET A GOOD FIGURE.