Do probiotics get rid of belly fat. How do I get it?
Studies have concluded that gut bacteria play an important role in determining body weight, and probiotics in particular can help you lose body weight and get rid of belly and waist fat. How does that happen, and how can we introduce probiotics into our diet?
Probiotics are microorganisms with multiple benefits
- Probiotics are microorganisms with their health benefits and are found in both nutritional supplements and fermented foods.
- Probiotics may improve immune function, digestive and heart health, among other benefits.
- Several studies also show that probiotics can help you lose weight and get rid of belly fat.
The role of gut bacteria in controlling body weight
- There are hundreds of microorganisms in the digestive system, most of which are classified as beneficial bacteria, as they produce many important nutrients, including vitamin K and some B vitamins.
- They also help break down fiber, which your body can’t digest, and turn it into beneficial fatty acids, according to Healthline.
- Interestingly, some studies have revealed a difference in the gut bacteria between those of moderate weight and those who are obese or overweight.
- People who are overweight have fewer gut bacteria, and their gut bacteria are less diverse.
- Some animal studies also show that when gut bacteria from obese mice were transplanted into the guts of lean mice, lean mice became obese.
How do probiotics fight obesity?
Until now, scientists are not completely clear about the mechanism of the effect of probiotics on body weight and belly fat.
But probiotics appear to affect appetite and energy use through the production of acetate, propionate and butyrate, which are short-chain fatty acids.
It is believed that some types of probiotics may inhibit the absorption of dietary fat, increasing the amount of fat excreted in the stool, which leads to weight loss.
Probiotics force the body to take in fewer calories from the foods we eat.
Probiotics can also fight obesity in other ways, including:
- Release of appetite-regulating hormones: Probiotics may help release appetite-reducing hormones such as Peptide-1 (GLP-1) and Peptide YY (PYY) and increased levels of these hormones may help you burn calories and fat.
- Increased levels of lipid-regulating proteins: Probiotics may increase levels of angiopoietin-like protein 4 (ANGPTL4). Which may lead to reduced fat storage.
Probiotics may help you lose weight and get rid of belly fat
- A recent review of multiple studies on probiotics and weight loss in overweight people shows probiotics can help you lose weight and lower body fat percentage.
- Studies have shown that certain strains of the Lactobacillus family may help you lose weight and belly fat.
- In one study, eating yogurt with Lactobacillus fermentum or Lactobacillus molars reduced body fat by 3-4% over 6 weeks.
- Another study in 125 obese people looked at the effects of Lactobacillus rhamnoses supplementation on weight loss and maintenance.
- The women who took the probiotics lost 50% more weight within 3 months, compared to those who didn’t take the probiotics, and they lost more waist and belly fat in particular.
Lactobacillus gasseri and promising effects on weight loss
Lactobacillus gasseri is a type of probiotic bacteria that is showing some particularly promising effects on weight loss.
Several studies in rodents have found anti-obesity effects. In addition, studies in adults have shown promising results.
One study that followed 210 people found that taking this type of probiotic bacteria for 12 weeks reduced body weight, fat, BMI, waist size and hip circumference.
Belly fat was reduced by 8.5%.
However, when the participants stopped taking the probiotics, they regained all the belly fat lost within one month.
Other strains of probiotics
- Other strains of probiotics may also help reduce weight and belly fat.
- In an 8-week study, women who were overweight took either probiotic containing strains of both Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium along with a diet.
- The study found that participants who took probiotics lost a higher percentage of belly fat.
Some types of probiotics may prevent weight gain
- Losing weight isn’t the only way to fight obesity. Preventing unwanted weight gain in the first place may be even more important in avoiding obesity.
- In one 4-week study, taking a probiotic formula called VSL#3 reduced weight gain and fat gain in people following a diet providing 1,000 more calories than they needed per day.
- People who took the probiotics gained less fat, even though they didn’t experience any significant changes in insulin sensitivity or metabolism.
- This suggests that some strains of the probiotic may prevent weight gain in a high-calorie diet. However, it still needs further study.
Foods that contain probiotics
As previously mentioned, probiotics are available as nutritional supplements, but it can be got directly from fermented foods in particular.
Probiotics are also found in potatoes, green bananas, garlic, pickles of all kinds, chocolate, yogurt, and some types of cheese.